ChildFund India – Child Sponsorship Program at Koilkuntla (Kurnool Dist) & Kakinada (East Godavari Dist.)
This is a child centered/focused project to assist Deprived, Excluded, and Vulnerable (DEV) children belonging to the poorest of the poor/most social-economically backward sections of the society, in the areas of Health, Education, Nutrition, Livelihoods, HIV/AIDS etc. The Koilkuntla Project has 812 enrolled children and out of them 640 children in 12 villages have sponsors.
The Kakinada Project consists of 600 enrolled children, out of them 284 are sponsored. This Project at Kakinada is particularly working on the welbeing of HIV/AIDS infected and affected children and their families, by providing supplementary nutrition, education, health needs and empowering the families and society to prevent themselves from HIV/AIDS. The financial assistance is given by sponsors located around the world through ChildFund International at Richmond, USA and ChildFund India Country office at Bangalore, India. The society prepares an annual plan and budget based on the needs of the child, family and community. The program activities/objectives include:
- Working on to promote health, sanitation, nutrition among the children and families to reduce infant, maternal and U5 mortality rates through preventive health care measures.
- Implementing the programs of Positive Deviance Hearth, Nutrition week, Breastfeeding week, and promotion of kitchen garden, has brought positive changes in food, health and hygiene habits, besides enhancing nutritional status among children and families.
- Sensitization to family members on parental care enahnces home based care and center based care practices of U5 children among community, mainly to address nutrition and health issues.
- Implementing School Quality Improvement Program (SQIP) in Government schools by supporting 4 components to improve 1. School infrastructure, 2. Teaching abilities, 3. Learning Levels and 4. Community Participation and taking effective steps for enrollment, retention and pass out of students. These intervents have resulted in 97% of enrollment of children on an average in the schools.
- School Coordinators for monitoring and to ensure quality education to the students.
- Provision of subject specialists to cover the needs of higher class students in high schools has helped to improve the X class pass percentage upto 93%.
- Skill development, income generation activities for adolescents have been initiated by imparting vocational training in Tie & Dye, fabric paints, Tailoring, embroidering etc.
- Running Village Resource/Recreation Center for the benefit of local youth, children and village people for the development of their knowledge and wisdom.